Solar (photovoltaic) panels lock in energy from the sun’s ray and this energy is transformed into power that can be activated to run a number of your home appliances and systems. The panels can be fixated on any type of roof. Here are some tips on installation:
1. Contact your municipal/local government to get important info about installing the panels. You may also need a permit and/or license.
2. Contact a local contractor or expert for additional information or assistance.
3. Once you are informed, consider placing the panels at the best angle to receive the maximum amount of sunlight e.g. you can get special mounts to place the panels on your roof.
4. Then place the panels and mounts on the rafters. These mounts should be placed about 48 inches apart. Do not attach the mounts directly to the roof surface.
5. Consider using a pilot bit to drill in the mounts; this prevents splitting. You should use markings to keep measurements precise.
6. The next step is to find lag bolts made of stainless steel to fasten the mounts. After that step, put (sheet) metal flashing in order to keep the roof from leaking.
7. Then hot mop in the region surrounding the mounts. Again, stainless steel bolts are used to attach metal rails to the mounts. Consider using solar racks made of aluminum to complete the racking system.
8. Attach the panels to the racking system. Keep in mind that the wires protruding out of the electrical boxes behind each panel need to be fixed into the appropriate terminals.
9. One of the last steps is to close all open terminals once you set up all the junctions in the electric circuit.
10. Enjoy your solar panel! Keep more of your green in the bank!